Da Trang pagoda is located on the slopes of Da Trang Mountain in An Dan Commune, Tuy An District, 20km north of Tuy Hoa City. The pagoda was built in 1797, under King Quang Toan of the Tay Son Dynasty. Today, it is one of the most well-known pagodas, attracting a large number of tourists in Vietnam travel to Phu Yen to visit.
Da Trang pagoda was founded by Buddhist monk Huy Phap Chuyen of the Lam Te faction and currently it is run by the tenth generation of Lam Te Buddhist monks.
Facing the Cai River, it stands on an area approximately 100m high, which was once the capital of Phu Yen Province in the 17th century. There is a treacherous road paved with stepping-stones leading to the gate of the pagoda. The pagoda was honoured by the emperor in 1889, and burnt to a cinder in 1929. It was then rebuilt with funds raised by numerous Buddhists from provinces throughout central Vietnam. In 1988, the sanctum of the Da Trang Pagoda was restored.
Behind the sanctum is a tower yard and a worshipping house for ancestors. The towers are carved with ornamental images, including the four sacred animals (dragon, unicorn, turtle, and phoenix). Surrounding the pagoda is an ancient green garden of mango trees. The Da Trang mango is a special product of Phu Yen known for its sweet smell and delicious taste.
The path leads to Da Trang pagoda
Please come to Phu Yen and pay a visit to Da Trang pagoda where you can see the historical relic of Tay Son Dynasty that still remains today.